Re: Broader Audience

>keets "What was uncomfortable about my previous post was that it implied
>Elton John has "sold out" by writing for Disney."
>
>I am thinking he sold out when he agreed to perform with Eminem.

Um.  I dunno.  I sorta thought Elton John was confronting the issue head-on,
and probably Eminem considers it a good idea to soften his image some.
Isn't he in trouble for weapons charges?  He needs something to say to da
judge.  ;)

>I think all 3 of the pieces you mention are plausible.  I think that going
>to Broadway would not necessarily broaden their audience, but exchange the
>current audience for another small one.  If they want to broaden, they must
>get some film projects going.  Film is the medium with the greatest
>potential for a truly broad audience.  Lifehouse is definitely suited for
>the big screen.

I'd agree with that, but I certainly don't think having TOMMY on Broadway
reduced their audience, or exchanged it for a smaller one.

>Do you think Pete would like to have the number 1 album in the world, the
>biggest selling summer tour in the US, a few Grammys, and kudos from the
>critics?  He ain't gonna get it with White City or Psychoderelict.

You're right.  Lovely pieces, but unsuitable for family entertainment.  I'd
say Pete is generally too sarcastic and dissonant for the hump in the bell
curve audience, though he does come up with some very touching storylines.
Tommy flew really well, but he's gotten a lot more cynical since 1968.  He
might need a co-writer to broaden the appeal of whatever show he worked on
now.  I'm still thinking about John, who should be good at the flatulence
jokes.  Roger might be an interesting addition to the mix, too, as he's
generally more optimistic than Pete.  Of course, Pete could also go outside
The Who.  Elton John has written AIDA with Tim Rice.

keets