Re: Kenney vs. Tim

> > Listen to the keyboard in 1979 and 1982.  The difference is easy to
>hear. Rabbit improvises while Tim Gorman sounds like he is playing sheet
>music.
>
>I like your comment but must disagree.  I *prefer* a little less-intrusive
>key-board with my live WHO.  I guess I'd rather have the sheet music.
>
>But Rabbit's alright, too.  I don't really have a problem with either of
>'em.

I'm not that familiar with Gorman's work, but I've heard enough of Rabbit's
to say he is a terrific addition to The Who line-up.  The man is absolutely
outstanding.

In the older songs, Rabbit's at a disadvantage because it wasn't performed
with a keyboard back in the sixties and seventies, or else the keyboard is
already on backing tape.  He hasn't much to do but look busy and annoy Who
fans who think the diddling about is intrusive.

He really proves his worth on the jams, though.  He's been one of Pete's
right hand men for a long time--I recall Pete making his usual complaint
about hearing (keyboard) music in his head and not being able to play it,
but that Rabbit could.  Rabbit has a terrific grasp of different styles and
interpretive techniques, and he has no limitations as far as I can tell.
The man could be a concert pianist if he had leanings in that direction, and
he plays jazz, blues, rock and country about as well.  He's notable on
Pete's solo albums, and also on the DST recordings where he's playing
against an orchestra.

Where he really proved his worth, though, is on this summer's Manchester
mp3.  As noted, he can improvise, and he can keep up.  He's a real artist,
and given a direction, he becomes an integral part of the Who machine.  He
didn't just play along there; he was front and center on a lot of it, and
Pete and John played against him as well as each other.

keets