Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #348

relevant and yes Pretentious? Self-obsessed? Grandiose? Pompous?.
But thats the music the who in a nutshell.
I was a little put off by Roger saying to  Pete to keep the who out of his
next concept.   I think Pete has a point that Roger is fogetting the basic
equation to the who's success. But two things Pete may be forgetting, Roger
sees Who's next as the pattern for the who's continued success Not Tommy or
Quadrophenia, for example. Simple straightforward ROCK.  But then you can
argue that Roger is forgetting that WHo's Next was hatched from a huge
concept itself.  Perhaps Roger wants Pete to have his space and be allowed
to work on side-projects, so he wont feel trapped and obligated to and with
THE WHO, as he did back in the late seventies.
I also think that this new concept of Pete's if perhaps perfomed by the who
may turn into a sequel, if you will of Quadrophenia.  Jimmy and his buddies
form a band, and conquer the new world. The personal views of the who about
their success in the band. ( Well thats  little bit like Who by numbers and
Its Hard).   With being in a band becoming something of a pre-requisite to
the childhood experience their is plenty of room for relevancy for the new
project.
Hopefully will do the right thing and not piss eachother off too much and
find a middle ground between the two projects.
I personally woudlnt mind a straightahead rock album and a concept piece.  A
double album? That would give a platform to debate from for quite a while
definitely.

P.S. Does anybody still have Pete's email address or a address where an
email could be fowarded from?
drew