Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #338

>Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 12:16:16 -0000
>From: "Nigel Morton" <nigel@adastey.demon.co.uk>
>
>Tommy as a musical - around the 1978 - 79 and was
>a short run at the Queens Theatre, London.

Missed that but have seen numerous productions including NY and London.
Loved it. Not The Who, not perfect, but a great theatrical achievement. If
anybody gives a rat's ass my review of the US touring production is up on
thewho.net somewhere.

>With
>Tommy the movie I can love it and hate it!  Personally my biggest problem
>with it is probably the overall
>effect of having Ken Russell direct and produce it - too over the top most
>of the time.

I love it, although it gets a little preachy after Tommy is cured (but
redeemed by the Sally Simpson number, complete with live Who).  Russell's
over-the-top vision is just fine with me. (I will not, however, attempt to
defend Oliver Reed's singing.) :-)

>Quadrophenia, the movie -  For me Phil Daniels IS Jimmy Cooper. he and two
>mates does the chemist and discovers the condoms
>is for me one of the funniest movie moments I know of.

Amusing, but I've seen funny momemts on celluloid I appreciated much more.
I've seen Quad a total of three times...I think the misfires begin with the
fadeout of The Real Me.  I want all music, all the time. Jimmy simply
becomes annoying, and the end is flubbed...not the same as the album, and
leads to an ongoing debate about whether or not Jimmy goes over the edge
with the bike, etc. etc.

If the above opinions mean I'm an eccentric freak, I'm OK with that.

Cheers,

Alan

"Never never hesitate, communicate, communicate..." --Pete Townshend