Re: CFNY BOR

> > Why did this suddenly happen in '76?
>
>As you, Keets, or another whose identity I do not remember, suggested,
>Townshend's lyrics became cynical, in which it was said that Daltrey
>doesn't "do" cynical very well, remember?

It was "irony," if I recall the discussion.  Pete said something on his
website about Roger not doing irony well, and we picked it up for
discussion.  I took the viewpoint that Roger shouldn't do it--that his
straight-forward delivery allowed listeners to choose the most appropriate
meaning for themselves.

I agree that Roger can be less effective when he doesn't provide his usual
subtext.  However, his delivery adds quite a bite to such sarcastic songs as
"Won't Get Fooled Again" and "Behind Blue Eyes."  You can't say that he
doesn't do cynicism well.

>Or, as I say, Daltrey lost touch with the ability to interpret Townshend's
>material, old and new, and became uncomfortable performing it onstage or in
>the recording studio.

This is an interesting observation.  Do you think RD's discomfort had to do
with the growing split in the band rather than the music?  I think the WHO
ARE YOU collaboration between Roger and Pete is one of the stongest albums
in their repertoire.  I can't find any sign of discomfort in Roger's
performance on the album.    I

t's true that Roger looks at Pete for much of a show, but so does everybody
else.  Pete is the band leader.

keets