Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #337

> I have a problem with the Who authorizing broadway-type opera treatments to
> their two rock operas.

You & a lot of other Who fans.

> I see right now that Tommy is going to play in LA very
> soon. This is a plain stupid idea. Hard rock can never cross over to the
> opera stage because rock and roll people just aren't the type to listen to
> boorish, falsetto bullshit.

I take it you never saw any of the TOMMY broadway shows.  I was of your
mindset until I actually went & saw the production.  Guess what?  I liked it.

> And that is what the Who music becomes in the
> hands of people who think hard rock is Barry Manilow. Furthermore, the people
> who go to these events are wimpish snobs who would never really respect a
> band like the Who.

Or they're just ordinary people who can (gasp!) enjoy rock music *and* a Broadway
production.  Those kind of people do exist, you know.

> The Tommy movie was great,

That's right, it was (hear that, keets?!)

> but I thought the Quadrophenia
> movie was poor because the guy who played Jimmy Cooper was very weak. It
> would have been better had he looked more like the Jimmy in the Quadrophenia
> album insert - he looked like the guy who should be in the movie.

As the two individuals don't look too disimilar, I don't understand your criticism.
But hey, it obviously affected you.

> Also in the Quad movie very little Who music was heard.

I thought enough of the music was there.  It wasn't supposed to be a music video
film.  It was a talkie.

> In addition, it wasn't true to the story line from the album.

And the TOMMY movie was?!

- SCHRADE in Akron