Re: Mastering and slavery

>Why can't The Who do something similar, you ask?  Because Pete Townshend
>has some sort of large object in his digestive tract that prevents him from
>giving it the go ahead.  This is the same problem that is keeping him from
>writing music for The Who.  I don't get it.  He seemed completly
>comfortable with cutting loose on stage last year.  We've not seem him that
>inspired in years.  What the fuck is the difference between opening up his
>heart on stage and opening up his heart on paper and in the studio?!?!

For one thing, Pete's scared of messing up his image (and The Who's) by
producing songs nobody likes.  Also, I'm sure he hates the idea of
rejection.  I notice a number of older musicians are talking about
retirement--Tina Turner, Eric Clapton, and now Elton John--the relevance
thing is getting to them.

I was just reading an article about Dylan where the author said Dylan went
through a period of "desperation" back in the eighties where he seemed to
feel he was losing his relevance, and then he seemed to resign himself to
being irrelevant and went back to producing good material.  The author felt
that what made it good material was Dylan's dark take on things, BTW.

>Now is the time for The Who to shit or get off the pot.  They have got to
>produce some new music, or risk losing *me* as a fan.

Now, now.  They did some new music for you.  "Crossroads Now" is new, and I
suspect that the summer jams on "TKAA" may eventually show up as  bonus
tracks similar to "You Can't Do It Alone."  I still think a couple of those
expressed complete enough thoughts to be considered Pete songs.  Recall that
his best songs aren't especially coherent. ;)

Whatever, we'll just have to wait and see.

>Grrrrrr,

Arf?

keets