Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #337

I have a problem with the Who authorizing broadway-type opera treatments to
their two rock operas. I see right now that Tommy is going to play in LA very
soon. This is a plain stupid idea. Hard rock can never cross over to the
opera stage because rock and roll people just aren't the type to listen to
boorish, falsetto bullshit. And that is what the Who music becomes in the
hands of people who think hard rock is Barry Manilow. Furthermore, the people
who go to these events are wimpish snobs who would never really respect a
band like the Who. The Tommy movie was great, but I thought the Quadrophenia
movie was poor because the guy who played Jimmy Cooper was very weak. It
would have been better had he looked more like the Jimmy in the Quadrophenia
album insert - he looked like the guy who should be in the movie. Also in the
Quad movie very little Who music was heard. IIn addition, it wasn't true to
the story line from the album.

  Jon, in LA.