Re: My dad, N'Sync, etc.

> Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2001 09:28:41 -0500
> From: "Mark R. Leaman" <mleaman@sccoast.net>
> Subject: Kids Are Alright special features; Palmer
> > What a great dad -- keeping in mind also that at the time, The Beatles
> were
> > considered about the artistic equivalent of N*SYNC now.
>
> Alan:
>
> That's not quite true; serious music critics were talking about how the
> Beatles' harmonies were of Classical nature (don't recall the exact
quotes)
> in 1964 and by 1966 they were MUCH more influencial than NYSNC (who is
> essentially a Backstreet Boys clone in the first place) will ever have.

I was going to let the original comment above slide by, but I wanted you
(Mark) to know that you are very correct in your reply. Even today, critics
feel the Beatles music will last throughout the centuries, viewed as
modern-day classical music.

You have to remember it wasn't just the music that was different. Their
looks, their mannerisms, their accents ... it hit America like a ton of
bricks at a time when we were looking for an identity, something to grab a
hold of.

Their music was so different from the early rock n' roll of Elvis, The
Coasters, as well as the crooners that were so popular with the younger
folks (Sinatra). A lot of you complain of how "pop" and "simple" the songs
sound, but for its day it was innovative and fresh.

And yes, my dad was pretty cool. It helps to have an older brother and
sister into rock as well. We had to do things together (parents' rule), thus
we got to see (thanks to my dad again) Hendrix, Joplin, Cream, The Animals,
The Who, Everley Brothers and loads of other concerts. You'd think I would
have taken up a musical instrument earlier due to the influences, but piano
lessons at 45 is better than piano lessons at 90, right??

And yes, he did try to get me in to see The Who at the Boston Tea Party, but
no go. Just wasn't old enough ... my lucky brother went!!

There. That message took up my annual posting allotment. See you next year!

Corkface
P.S. My kids tell me N'Sync is just a Backstreet Boys wannabe band.