Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #327

> > > air to indicate Mick's album was doing poorly and that he was no
> > > longer marketable.
>
>You read it wrong. The figure is actual sales in the record stores which
>report sales data to an company which prepares charts for the BBC and other
>organisations. Nothing to do with critics at all.

I assumed the guy who wrote the article was a critic, as the report was
slanted to indicate that Mick's album was selling poorly and that industry
representatives were dismayed about it.

As you say, it's all in the interpretation of the data.  If they'd checked
different sales outlets, they'd have gotten different results.  Do you think
the writer was genuinely confused?

> > > I gather that Who cds are all selling well since the CFNY, so any new
>album is likely to generate a little interest with the public.
>
>Read my lips - no new Who album - ever. I guessed this 3 years ago and I
>still hold to it today. If I'm wrong I'll be first in the queue:-)

Well, that's not much in the way of penance!   ;)

>As for sales of Who CD's, I doubt if they are selling much here.
>
>The concert for New York was probably seen by fewer than 250,000 in the UK
>so it will have zero impact on the record buying public as a whole.

The U.S. market is huge by comparison, though.  I gather The Who albums have
chugged along with respectable sales even through two decades of relative
inactivity.  Now The Who has made a very high-profile public appearance, so
you'd expect at least a little spike in the sales.  Everybody who saw the
show must have rushed out to buy WHO'S NEXT at the very least.

LB