Re: who vs. beatles

From: TJLY99@aol.com
"by the way, yes the who were the FIRST hard rock band and it paved the way
for others to come and yes they were creative in the studio, especially pete
but what about artists like frank zappa, and brian wilson, and bob dylan?
their albums came out before "sgt. pepper" and "tommy" did. do you think
they were pretty creative in the studio and in their songwriting and paved
the way for anything?"

Quite true.
If you want to open the scope a bit more (outside our usual Whocentrism) you
could talk about Buddy Holly, Elvis, Sinatra, Muddy, T-Bone, Little Richard,
Coltrane, Miles Davis, Mose Allison, Chuck Berry, The Byrds, James Brown,
The Stooges, Alan Ginsberg, Kerouac, Lenny Bruce, Warhol, Alan Freed, John
Lee Hooker, Chess Records, Sun Records, Stax Records, Phil Spector, Motown,
Robert Johnson, Jerry Lee, Bill Haley....

We can't trace back most specific Who/Pete songs or sound to any specific
influence but there is a continuum to western pop art.  You cannot extract
one contributor and call them the center.  Well, you can (as we often have
in this little discussion group) but there is always a counterpoint to any
such discussion.  Is this empiricism, or what?

Jeff