RE: Youthrebellionandourfuture

>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: New Who ?
>
>No, no!  Really I'm serious!!!  The man never makes any sense.  :)  For
>example, here's "Baba."

Yes, yes, but isn't your argument pointless given the fact that these songs
*are* part of something bigger?

>Okay, so this is pretty much a total loss.  I've got a farmer and a woman,
>and they're going on a journey south through a land of wasted teenagers.
>Yeah, right.  Great song.  ;)

A total loss??  Is that what this has all been??  Didn't this "total loss"
intrigue you to the point of doing research?  Didn't this total loss get you
more and more curious, until you found out what the truth was?  As a new Who
fan listening to these songs for the first time, I did what most people did.
I interpreted the songs with my own specific meaning. But for me, and for
most on this list, that wasn't good enough.  I was drawn in.  I could tell
there was more.  And, once we discover what that "more" is, it all comes
together just fine.  In fact, in a grand grand way.  Pete not a good
lyricist???  Please woman, put down the crack pipe.

Again, what are you looking for, Van Halen??  ;-)

>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>Subject: RE: New Who ?
>
>They <kids> understand intellectually, but that doesn't take away the pain.

Kids are in pain due to their parents working???  Bullshit.

>Somebody or other did a survey of the Boomers and found that they
>(especially the men) did feel abandoned by their fathers.

Yes, this I believe.  But, is that because they simply went to work??  No.
It's because when they were home or around they showed no interest.
Work is a fact of life.  There will be no changing that.  Kids accept that
too.  It's what happens when the parents are home that forms the kids
impressions.

>Then the Boomer moms went out and did that same thing, so their kids
>have been abandoned by both parents.

Again, hogwash.  Both my parents worked.  In High School, when my Dad
retired, I wished like hell he was still working.  Nothing worse then being
the complete focus of a parent.  It's the time spent together and how that
time is spent that forms the relationship.  Kids understand work and the
need to work.  If you come home from a long day, yell at your kid, and then
lock yourself into your bedroom to watch TV, and then do it all over again
every day.....Yes, your kid is gonna resent you.  If you come home, spend
time, share, be involved but not overwhelming, you're gonna have a friend
who understands the realities of life.

>For most kids it's entertainment, maybe, but what if they can't tell
fantasy
>from reality?  I'd suspect it does affect the borderline head cases.

Head cases need treatment and help, not condemnation from society.  Hmmmmmm,
sounds very similar to drug addicts, doesn't it??
I don't believe there are those out there that can't tell the difference
between reality and fantasy.  It's an excuse.  Those kids are just plain
hurting and in pain.  Plain and simple.  They know what reality is, but
chose to do what's bad.
>From: Alan McKendree <amckendree@mail.nur.utexas.edu>
>
>Nixon, a Republican, was the one who removed our troops (admittedly by
surrendering, but at least not tossing any more lives into the abyss).

Ummm, Nixon - Cambodia - escalation of the bombing campaign to levels never
seen before.
Nixon's got blood on his hands too.  Let there be no mistaking that fact.

>Just read an article today claiming quite the contrary:  posted it at
>http://www.nur.utexas.edu/eco-surprise.htm  for (all) your edification.
>Thesis (buttressed by 3,000 footnotes):

Alan, I could find a bunch that state the contrary.

Just saw an article and then also heard a piece on Network TV about how the
world is running out of clean drinking water.  Hmmm, that while Bush allows
for higher arsenic levels in drinking water.  I guess that's *one* way
around the problem.

>"...that the rate of human
>population growth is past its peak, that agriculture is sustainable and
>pollution is ebbing, that forests are not disappearing, that there is no
>wholesale destruction of plant and animal species

Good thing there are liberals who care more about their children's future
then their immediate wallet making sure this happens.

>and that even global
>warming is not as serious as commonly portrayed."

Please.  Must we have a century of evidence before we take action??  Do you
wait until your tire is flat to change it even when there is a nail in the
tread?

>From: thewho rocks <leb905@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: Has Pete lost it?
>
>Not many people, apparently.  But I'm having a look at lyrics and
>writer's block here.  Why exactly are these such great lyrics, and why
>does Pete feel he can't write like this any more?

It sounds to me from everything we've heard and read, that it's a matter of
will.  Does Pete want to bother making a new album.  I don't believe the
question of "does he still possess the ability" has anything to do with it.

Kevin in VT