Re: More lyrical sparring

> Sure.  Great stuff.  Pete really is a post-modern artist, you know.  One
of
> the requirement of the genre is that art be spontaneous, and that's where
> Pete does his best work.

Keets:

I can't imagine WHAT you're talking about. Pete's best work is his
considered, concept material. Please cite some examples of Pete being at his
best as a spontaneous writer.

  > To further bolster your arguments about Pete's lyrical weaknesses, I
offer
> the following:  Horse's Neck.  This book blows IMHO.

Jeff:

I'm not a great fan of HN either, but I don't see ANY weakness in Pete's
lyrics. Please cite examples of this. Even in It's Hard and FD, there are
plenty of clever turns of phrase.

> musicians' and entertainers' political views and wish that most of them
would
> play the music and keep their politics to themselves.

Ceenie:

The discussion was about the atmosphere which formed the music, and in the
case of the Who it was a very political period. It would be great if we had
a new album or tour to discuss, but we don't. So the discussions are bound
to go a bit afield, you know. At least we're not talking about Pete's
favorite beer (which has been a topic here in the past) or something like
that. Restrict yourself to simply things directly about The Who and you'll
soon find there's very little to discuss.
Personally, I think artists should be free to express their politics in
music (or in rants between songs) if they choose. Otherwise we wouldn't have
gems like Won't Get Fooled Again or I've Known No War.

> think it was cool to be stoned and drunk.  And then there was the excuse
that
> drugs heightened creativity, pure bullshit.

You're wrong about this; I can give you evolution of music in the `60s as an
example of how using drugs sparked the creativity of music writers
(including Pete Townshend). Anyone using drugs should certainly be
responsible, but using today's music as an example of music which is created
without the spark of drugs...and my point is proven.

> and lots of it, it equates with power.  So don't blame the Republicans,
> Democrats, etc. for the economy.

No, it's just an incredible coincidence, of course.

"The new President of The United States is
    what I would call a cunt "
              Pete Townshend

               Cheers                 ML