RE: Rockin' with old folks

>From: "Jeff House" <whocasa@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Rockin' with old folks
>
>Since the discussion on this list is pretty quiet, I thought I would share
>completely unrelated experince and try to tie it back to The Who.  It
>certainly relates to the recent discussion about the rights of old people
>perform and listen to live music.

I'll tell ya, I'm still peeved about this topic and it's been on my mind
non-stop.  I read an article recently that stated "teens will always find
something to rebel against, it just so happens that the baby boomers had a
good cause" (or something to that effect).
What a load of SHIT!

What were teens rebelling against before the 60's????  I wasn't alive then,
but it seems to me that things were pretty harmonious between the
generations prior to the 50's.  When those 50's kids grew older, they saw
and acted upon the oppressive state their society was in.
I mean, were the settlers having problems with their teens???
"To hell with all this thanksgiving shite, let's go and have our own
dinner!".
What about in Civil War times?
"I ain't gonna fight my brotha, no matter what Pappy says!".
Or the 20's????
"Stop fighting proabition!  Go to church instead!!"

I don't think so.
They followed their elders.

The Boomers reacted to their reality and rebelled.
"We're not gonna sit here and stay quiet while you keep sending my friends
off to this far away place to fight your paranoia over Communism."
What it caused, IMO, is a whole bunch of jealousy.
Post-Boomer generations see how influential the boomers were in their day
(late 60's early 70's), how cool it all was then.  How emotionally charged
and relevant it all was.  And they want the same for themselves.
In order to make what the Boomers did seem less significant (and thus make
themselves feel more important), they claim that all teens rebel and the
boomers were no different.

So, what we have then is a pretty ironic situation.
The Boomers fought to change things. They wanted to be a voice that was
taken seriously and ultimately would bring all together.
What they did is give future generations the goal of rebelling.  Since
there's really nothing to rebel against, they strive to get rid of the
memory of the boomers.
It's sad.  We should all come together instead.

Where the boomers failed, is that they didn't then come back to heal things.
But, I guess that's done locally (in your own family).  Or, maybe that's a
job for The Who.

Anyone catch Henry Rollins (my hero) this morning on Stern???
He tore the current music scene a new asshole.  It was great.
Who would have thought that Henry was an Abbey Road fan.

Kevin in VT
Hoping my rant made sense.