New York Post on Strange Frequency

Available on line at:
http://www.nypost.com/entertainment/37509.htm

ROCK & MAGIC ALL MIXED UP
By Linda Stasi

August 16, 2001 -- "Strange Frequency"
Saturday at 10 p.m. on VH1

WOULDN'T you think that one series about supernatural rockers would be one
series more than you need about supernatural rockers? You might think that,
but you'd be wrong.

In what can only be described as supernatural duplicity of thought, (or
maybe just plain stealing), this week not one, but two shows of this kind
are premiering. I already told you about "Dead Last," the funny show about
the band that's stuck seeing ghosts.

Now VH1 has weighed in with "Strange Frequency," a "Twilight Zone" for
hipsters, with Roger Daltrey as host.

The first episode, "Soul Man," also starring Roger Daltrey (and James
Marsters), is so bad it's hard to watch.

For reasons I hope never to know, they actually have the nerve to start this
new series with a show about a guy who (I swear!) sells his soul to the
Devil and becomes a big rock star. How's that for a new and interesting plot
line?

For reasons you should hope never to know, they drag poor, dead Jimi Hendrix
into it. Since all this has to take place in a half-hour show, the guy
(Marsters) becomes a rock star the minute he steps in for the real star, who
cuts his hand and can't play.

There is a twist at the end, which is truly terrifying, because it leaves
you with the nightmare thought that this particular episode can go on
forever. Oh God (or maybe Satan!), noooo!

The writing and the plot line - which is older than Bob Hope - is so tired
it gave me chronic fatigue. I mean, selling your soul to the Devil?

On the other hand, the second episode, "Cold Turkey," with Patsy Kensit and
John Hawkes, is really quite good.

In that one, Hawkes plays a very addicted rocker who takes up with a blonde
(Kensit) who ends up as his muse and his destroyer.

No, they don't look pretty and adorable shooting up together. I mean, it's
no "Sid and Nancy," but still . . .

And no, these two aren't really nice people with cute clothes who are stuck
with a needle in their arm. It's pretty gruesome.

It's pretty riveting, as well. And yes, they too, bring up Jimi Hendrix. As
in: Joplin, Jimi, Jim Morrison. Live hard, die young, leave a good looking
ghost. (That was my attempt at a supernatural rocker joke.)

So, what I'm stuck with is a serious cosmic crap shoot. Sometimes it'll be
good and sometimes it's a stinker, if you get my meaning.

So, now you're warned. If I were you, I'd skip the premiere and wait for the
second installment. Well, that is unless, of course, you think that too much
Roger Daltrey is never enough Roger Daltrey.

        -Brian in Atlanta
         The Who This Month!
        http://members.home.net/cadyb/who.htm
        (and no pop-ups!)