Re: From the US without love; Ticket prices; Fobbing Pete to play Paul

> > something that should be re-evaluated in terms of how they affect free
>speech and free competition in the marketplace.
>
>Neither of which have ever existed in this country.

Well, no.  But there are different degrees of freedom, so everybody fights
back and forth about it.  Once the battle's over, we're done for.  ;)

> > Hence the high ticket prices?
>
>Yeah, that's why the prices suddenly skyrocketed. I remember the Eagles
>being the first to really gouge the fans ($100+ tickets, and no regalia
>either!). But CSN&Y reportedly had $250 tickets on their last tour.

Just the going rate, these days.  They'd tend to devalue themselves if they
charged less.

Recall there are different schemes for making money on the tix.  If they
charge more up front, then they can charge less in the back.  If they charge
less in front, then they have to charge more in back to keep the same
average, so they're freezing out folks who can't (or won't) pay much and
thus running the risk of having empty seats.  I guess their choice depends
on what crowd they think they can draw.

>Definitely affected by our economic downturn. The primary reason why no
>sane country would attack the US is because it would trash the world
>economy.

Didn't I say economics is more important than politics?  Heheh.  ;)  Anywho,
there was a rumor that The Stones cancelled UK tour plans because they
wouldn't make any money in the current climate.  That's Jagger the economist
analyzing it out.

> > Everybody is used to elaborate shows, but it might be a case where bands
>with real music need to scale back the regalia some--again a la TED.
>
>Well I for one was never that big on spectacles in the first place. The Who
>in `00 were much like The Who in `75, just the best damned live Rock band
>out there. No bells, no whistles, no horns and no hooters (a thinly veiled
>reference to Jody Lynn-Scott).

Now, now.  I haven't heard anybody complain about Jody.  Maybe they should
bring her along as a drum tech.  :)

> > even get back to the days where they go out with a couple of roadies and
>a light man again.  ;)
>
>Technology makes this possible, but it's unlikely. Humans most often feel
>they have to have a certain entourage to appear to be on the level they
>presume to be on. Like "We're so big we can afford 20 roadies."

And maybe they like the comforts.  I gather The Who does some of their own
set up work, though.  Didn't somebody have a pic of John with pliers in his
hand last summer?

> > I've been wondering what kind of video would be best to sell a possible
>new album about parent/teen relationships.

>But realistically, I can't see an album from The Who about teen-parent
>relationships. For one thing, (as far as I know) none of them have had
>teens for about 20 years...and at this point, most of their fans are past
>it too.

I dunno.  Pete's got one coming (is Joe eleven?).  Give 'em time and they'll
be singing about their grandkids.  Also, there was a big bunch of
thirty-somethings here that checked in on the list survey--just about the
age for upcoming teenagers.

>Quad explored this territory anyway. And this beside the fact that it's not
>really the most interesting subject in the world from the parents POV.
>What's it going to be: "Why won't they listen/I'm just trying to help
>them/evade the mistakes/That we made/I know how they feel/I've been there
>myself/But they'll never understand/Like I never understood/When I was
>young..."

> > It was, in fact, "It's Hard" recorded at the same time and location as
>the "Eminence Front" video.

Okay, I stuck it in.

>I remember it well. It was like a rehearsal version. And I've never seen an
>Athena video either.

May not exist.  So far it's just a strong rumor.

> > Dah, comrade.  (That's for you, ML)
>
>Keets:
>
>"The wind is in the buffalo." I'll make the dropoff at the usual place.

Wasn't me.

:)
keets