Re: CD Rip off

> > But he hasn't broken any US laws while in the US.
>
>Well, I don't know all the details. It may be an attempt to write law
>through other existing law.

> > attempting to squash competition by arresting the employees of foreign
>competitiors.  Shades of William Gibson.
>
>Welcome to the Bush era.

Okay, I picked up another development on Monday.  There was an American
citizen detained for spying who was released in Russia the same day this guy
made bail.  My interpretation would be that the FBI went for it on Adobe's
complaint so they could negotiate the release.
There is already an international treaty (WIPO) in this case with effects
still undetermined, but the couple of US laws invoked are definitely
something that should be re-evaluated in terms of how they affect free
speech and free competition in the marketplace.  There were cases listed
there where researchers were threatened under the laws to prevent them from
publishing their findings, and cases were technology was held off the market
under threat of suit.  Ugly battle.  That kind of control over the market
definitly limits the type of products available to consumers.  It might well
be a case where everyone should complain to their representatives.

>Actually, no...in the last decade or so the cost of live performance has
>been such that it's usual a band breaks even on a tour...especially if they
>have a lot of regalia along (read: Stones tour).

Hence the high ticket prices?  Well, somebody sent in a link that says
they're all going broke in the US this year.  Great timing from TED for last
year's tour.  How's the economy in the UK and Europe?  Would that be a
factor in whether or not they'd tour?

Everybody is used to elaborate shows, but it might be a case where bands
with real music need to scale back the regalia some--again a la TED.  We may
even get back to the days where they go out with a couple of roadies and a
light man again.  ;)

LB