Re: MTV Turns 20 - I Want My MTV - WHO Cares?

>I have a copy of The Who's press conference to announce their final,
>pay-per-view, Toronto, 1982 live special & almost the entire question &
>answer session is about video, the importance of video, how videos will
>affect the future of Rock, etc., etc.  Crazy, almost panic-like speculation
>about where it was all headed.
>
>And Pete had to deal with it, too.

I recall Pete said The Who would never have made it in an MTV-driven music
industry--that they were all too ugly.  Maybe that sums up his experience
with the medium.  I did think his music videos from the eighties were good,
though.  The scripted ones are more art films, but "Rough Boys," for
instance, plays pretty well today, unlike some other older videos.  It's
another one of those things that's going to be timeless.

keets