Re: Rereleases

> To clarify, I was speaking mainly of Pete's solo releases, like the Avatar
> set, that sound like utter crap, although the BBC Sessions sounds like shit
> compared to the Max. BBC boot.

I haven't heard the AVATAR release but I will agree with you that the BBC
SESSIONS remaster *does* sound weaker than the MAX BBC boot.

> AQO because if the inferior mono
> masters--those who haven't heard this record in stereo don't know what
> they're missing

Honestly, most WHO fans don't give a monkey's which "version" they're
listening to.  That's not to say they wouldn't notice a difference; they're just
more concerned with the *music* rather than the *sound.*

And, no, a stereo CD release of AQO would *not* make the throngs stand
up & shout, "Oh my God!  This is so much better than what we've been listen-
ing to all these years!"  Most of us got hooked on THE WHO in the days of
scratchy vinyl records or hissy cassette tapes.  We're not expecting the ultimate,
best-sounding WHO CD's nor do we *deserve* it.

You seem to think that you (& other WHO fans) are somehow getting cheated
or short-changed because not all of the CD re-releases have met your expec-
tations.  You feel bad for all of us sad fucks who will never get to appreciate the
WHO's music the way *you* think it should be presented.  Amazingly, we don't
really care how the music is presented.  We just wanna dance!

> I mean, is there any Who fan
> who wouldn't have like to hear 'Bank Holiday' and 'Wizardry' the two bonus
> tracks that Astley decided not to include on the Quad remaster?

Sure, we'd like to hear 'em, but I've got no problem with 'em being left off of
QUAD.  Bonus tracks would seem odd & invasive on QUAD (& TOMMY
for that matter); so in this sense, I'm glad they were left off.

> Wouldn't it
> have been nice to hear the extra lead guitar track on 'Goin' Mobile' on the
> Who's Next reissue, or the extended versions of my wife and Baba O'Riley?
> How about the longer version of 'Join Together' that Entwistle wanted to put
> on the original Odds and Sods LP?  What about the band version of 'Blue Red
> and Grey' that no one bothered to ask Glynn Johns if he retained a copy, or
> the other outtakes from WBN?  How about the tracks off Who's Missing/Two's
> Missing/Rarities that haven't been reissued?  How about the lack of a
> substantial amount of live material from the Moon-era Who?

For fuck's sake, I got a wish list, too!  Sure, there's all kinds of shit I'd like to see
released.  But that fact that it isn't (yet) does *not* make me feel cheated or
short-changed.  You seem to believe that because this stuff exists, we should have
it.  That's wrong.  THE WHO owe us nothing!

> Nah, I guess the reissue series is perfect, and we have all the stuff we'd
> like to hear available in perfect fidelity.  NOT!

*Of course* the reissue series isn't perfect!  Don't be silly!  It's just that only *you*
& a handful of others were expecting something "perfect."  And, yes, that *is*
too much to ask for.

Like Jimmy said in the QUAD movie after giving all that change to Harry in the
poker game:  "You take it or leave it, my friend.  TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT!"

THE WHO owe us nothing.

- SCHRADE in Akron