Re: The Who on cd

>But then it's obvious why they're planning to release a second Leeds disk
>rather than take a chance on unknown material. Why cant they release both
>!! New Material AND Tommy at leeds. I know they want to preserve the WHO
>legacy but come on!

Their experience with LIVE AT THE ISLE OF WIGHT must have made quite an
impression.  A couple of fans have commented that the shows are similar and
it's likely fans will choose LEEDS over IOW if they're going to buy just
one.  Still there's a huge difference in the sales figures.  Until TED can
figure out why, I don't expect they'll be willing to expend the time and
money to put many of the old shows out for sale.

>I keep thinking about how Pete started to put up pieces of music on his
>site hoping to get a reaction or critique from fans. For as he has said
>many times he doesnt have a sounding board for his ideas anymore.  Kit
>lambert was that person for many years, someone he respected and felt had
>an understanding equal to his own.  Maybe those mp3s of new ideas were
>actually something of a call for a bit of help from fans to help bounce new
>ideas off with him.? Maybe the songwriting process for him isnt complete
>without the objectivity of another person shaping the ideas. Possible ,
>maybe.
>drew b w

Pete is manic-depressive.  Just after the tour he was in manic phase, with
creative ideas popping out everywhere, talking about focus, and trying to
choose the ones he really needed to work on.  That's what Kit Lambert did
for him--pick out the best (or most commercially viable) ideas from the heap
and give Pete a direction.  There was some mention a while back that Roger
might be able to help sort things out these days.  Hard to say, as it might
be difficult for them to work closely together--plus, Roger seems to have
lots of things going on, too.

I do think the mp3s serve multiple purposes.  For one thing, they're good
PR.  They keep fan interest up, and increase the number of hits on Pete's
site.  And they do serve for market research.  He CAN actually post
something and ask for feedback, but that's slightly different from providing
focus.

What kinds of projects has he discussed lately?  It seems QUAD the musical
is in work, but PSYCHODERELICT the musical is stalled, and Pete's
autobiography is stalled, and maybe there's a movie or two in work and the
new Scoop album, and maybe a secret Who album.  That's plenty of work
without getting sidetracked on anything else.  All worthy project, too, that
ought to get a little push from fan support.
It is good that Pete's got a staff.  Maybe he should put other folks in
charge of miscellaneous ideas until the major ones are underway.  Has anyone
else noticed that The Who business seems fairly closely held?

keets