Pete's 1998 experiment

I've been listening to the Maryville Academy discs from 1998.  I have said
before that the sound that Pete put together of the mini-tour that year was
the root of the current 2000 sound.

It seems to me that he was deconstructing the traditional Who sound
altogether.  Once he was able to perform with a  deconstructed Who, he could
then think about rebuilding the band for the 1999 shows.  Here's my
supporting obeservations of the '98 sound:

- No drummer.  This is key, since the vacuum left after Moon's death was THE
main change to the classic sound.
- Straightforward bass.  'nuf said
- John Carin.  Pete's main collaborator for the sound is an accomplished
musician with no personal stake in the legacy of The Who.  He is the
opposite of Roger in these two things.
- Lack of testosterone.  Two women (vocal, guitar and percussion) and one
very flamboyant gay guy on the lead instrument - 'mouth organ'.

The only two similarites to the classic Who sound were the two constants
that Pete knew he had to carry forward:
- His songs.
- Him on electric guitar.

Jeff