geezer rock

keets  "Maybe so.  I think there are folks who tell Pete he could do much
better and that he shouldn't be out there doing that childish rock 'n' roll
stuff.  I can see the problem.  Rock 'n' roll doesn't have much of a
reputation as serious music.  Many bands' antics are laughable, and the
marketing of shallow pop tends to obscure more serious work that would
improve the industry's image.  Pete always has that problem of seeing
himself in a mirror.  He looked fine last summer, though.  The problem is
not believing in the music.  That's when it turns into a farce."

So true, keets.  It is quite narrow-minded thinking that rock cannot be
serious.  Guilt by association is a nasty little fallacy.  It would be like
saying jazz cannot be serious because it's played by John Tesh, or to reach
back even further that musical theater can't be serious because it is played
to the masses.  This is an age-old problem in art.  Genres are not shit,
only specific works of art are shit - and by association to their works -
specific artits suck.

You have defined Pete's current quandry very nicely.  I hope he can see the
foolishness of the thinking that rock (as a genre) is shit.  It is only shit
if specific performances or recordings are shit.

Jeff

"I'm proud of the re-emergence of this band" PT
"We'll be back"  RD
Mansfield, MA July 3 2000