Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V8 #89

>>Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 19:31:20 -0400
>From: "Scott Schrade" <schrade@akrobiz.com>
>Subject: Re: Old familiar places
>
>> I notice Roger's scheduled to play the Apollo Hammersmith on June 29.
>> FYI, that is the venue that appears in the Quadrophenia booklet, with
>> the picture of the band and assorted girls about to get into a limo,
>> while Jimmy looks on from the right.  The venue has been slightly
>> remodeled and renamed since the photo was taken.
>
>Is this venue sometimes called the Hammersmith Palais or the Hammersmith
>Odeon?  Or are those different places?
>
>- - SCHRADE in Akron

It was always called the Hammersmith Odeon back when that was its name,
which it was at the time the Quad photo was taken.  I don't know whether it
was ever called the Hammersmith Palais.

>Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 06:48:37 EDT
>From: WanChef@aol.com
>Subject: Re: Need to ask this board
>
>wont type here - (that isnt Who related ) But, this is: perhaps you can give
>a list of some inspirational - kickass - motivational Who songs for me.

WGFA always does it for me.  I used to play it to get psyched up before
racketball.  Other suggestions would be Relay, and Gonna Get You from Empty
Glass.  There must be others but I'll stop there.  Sorry to hear about your
troubles, and best wishes.

>Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 14:28:58 -0400
>From: "Brian Wright" <lump_16@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Rock & Roll's Ten Wackiest Pranks
>
>I knew of the Smother Brothers incident, but I never herd about driving cars
>into swimming pools and such ... although I don't doubt it.

You're the first person (Who fan) I've met who hasn't heard of the "cars
into swimming pools" stories/legend -- Ringo even mentions it in The Kids
Are Alright.  But you're not missing anything -- it's all false, according
to Fletcher's _Moon_ -- it's an exaggeration based on Keith putting his car
into reverse in a drunken rage and managing to back it into a decorative
pond in his back yard where it got stuck.  Read _Moon_, you'll be glad you
did.

Cheers,

Alan

"Never never hesitate, communicate, communicate..." --Pete Townshend