Re: joke

At 12:53 -0700 4/2/2001, The Who Mailing List Digest wrote:
>Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 19:17:55 -0000
>From: "Nicole C." <beatlegirl_13@hotmail.com>
>
>You might be suprised at how many teens not only know a lot of pre-1975
>music, but are also big fans. I'm 17 and I know a lot of kids my age who are
>into "old" music. The Beatles, The Doors, The Dead and Led Zeppelin are
>probobly the most popular older bands (around here at least), but I've met a
>lot of Who fans who are my age as well. So don't worry, there are still some
>teens left with good taste. :)

That's good to know. I know that those (of all ages) who read this list are
probably more plugged into classic rock than the general populace.  I think
it's great that the music that's meant so much to me also offers me a
continuity with younger people.  I feel a return obligation to myself not
to fall into a mindset that good music stopped in 1975 or 1980, and instead
I try to keep listening for new bands that produce good music.  (Creed
comes to mind...they seem to have the right attitude.  Remains to be seen
whether they can keep it up.  Another possibility was Extreme in the early
'90s, but after I ran out and bought "Three Sides to Every Story" to get
"Rest in Peace", the rest of the album was a disappointment.  A shame..I
thought they were really onto something with RIP.)

If you're 17, then the "golden age" of rock ended about 8 years before you
were born, with the birth of disco and its counterpoint, punk.  That you
are into it is a bit amazing to me, as music from 1948, 8 years before _I_
was born, and earlier, holds almost no interest for me.

Cheers,

Alan

"Never never hesitate, communicate, communicate..." --Pete Townshend