Tampa/Atlanta

Since I've disposed of flowers and apologies all around, I do have some
comments on the music.  We were discussing how The Who morphs over the
years, but I think maybe this time they've done it within one tour.  I was
really up front in Tampa and got so involved in the mechanics that I
couldn't really assess how the show went as a whole, but I got a better
over-all impression in Atlanta.

They didn't sound the same as they did in Boston, and either they're
developing a style or else they're getting into a rut.  ;) There was more
variation in the tempo in Boston, while the music seemed very unform in
Atlanta, and much more contemporary.  Interestingly, I think The Who and
Unamerican are now sounding more alike--you'd gather they might be listening
to one another play?  ;)  The difference in The Who is in the drums, of
course, as Brian has pointed out, but I thought Zak sounded much less like
Keith this time around.  The drums are what's driving that contemporary
sound.  I quite enjoyed all the shows--the Boston concert had moments that
were very atmospheric, maybe a holdover from the Quad tour, but the Atlanta
show had the same freight train effect that I noticed in Tampa.  I liked the
style at first, but after a while I wished they'd vary the tempo a little
bit more.  Maybe I've gotten too attached to the jazz.

I had my nephew along in Atlanta (a huge Aerosmith fan), and I was
interested in his response.  It's been hard to get him interested in the
albums, but the live show did the trick--The Who can still hook the young
guys.  It's something about the drive and the energy in the performance,
regardless of the song or the style.  Testosterone rush, anyone?

keets