Re: Keith vs. Kenney - The Weigh In

>Mick,
>You say Rog was inserting “Little Rog“ in Kenney's special gal???

'Little' being the operative word...

Yikes!
>Well, that pretty much sums up the debate.  Keep that guy away from my
>woman!!!  Good thing my girlfriend likes Pete more than Rog -

So do I...

 take my wife,
>please...

I'd rather not, but thanks for the offer! :)

I filled in on drums a few times
>when the usual drummer pulled a Keith and was unable to do gigs or rehearse
>for whatever reason.

What you mean they all o/d'd on drugs and drink and carked it?!

Like Keith, I've never taken a lesson (as the legend
>goes) and with the graces of the good lord, I've simply been able to just do
>it.  I LOVE drums more than my precious Gibson SG.  Anyway, as you said -
>“putting the entertaining to one side“ just about every drummer I know (rock
>star and club gigger) all agree that Keith was probably the “sloppiest“
>drummer in the history of rock.

But sexy sloppy drumming....

If you were to compare Keith and Kenney on
>a TECHNICAL side, then Kenney would stand head and shoulders above Keith, as
>would most drummers.

Technical, schmecnical!  Although, speaking of talented drummers, Micky Dolenz played drums left handed even though he's right handed, because he had to learn to play them before The Monkees started their first tour and I think he had about five lessons but the guy who taught him was left handedd so that's how Micky has drummed ever since.  Just thought I'd share that bit of trivia...

>Obviously, timekeeping was not one of Keith's strongest assests.

I like his style...

If I had
>to put Keith in a class of drummers it would be with the “power and flair“
>category - ie, Keith, John Bonham, Phil Collins, Carl Palmer (not too much
>power in Palmer though).  So for me, the comparing Keith and Kenney is very
>difficult because their styles were so different.

Hang on, you can't stick KEITH JOHN MOON in a class with any other drummer.  He was the BEST rock ever produced.  Biased, me?!

>But why is Keith my favorite drummer?  Why do I think he's the greatest rock
>drummer (and Gene Krupa fans might dispute my claim that he's the greatest
>drummer - period)?

Because he had a really cute arse...  er, you di'n't 'ear tha', wot I jast, di'n't say...

Because, including his showmanship, he simply was in a
>class by himself.  Tony Fletcher touches on the subject in his bio of Keith;
>he totally revolutionized the drums in contemporary music.  For my money,
>80-90% of every drummer in rock since Keith, has tried to play like him.
>>From the rolls to the rhythms, it's a variation of Keith.  Not to mention
>his complete abandon on drums, sheer energy and power, and his ability to
>move the music through variation in rhythm.  Lastly, (and I keep harping on
>this) Keith's improvisational flair, for me, is what made the Who go from a
>great band to the hights of Olympus.  Listen to some of the free form jams
>(My Generation from Leeds; Keith/Pete interplay - Join Together/Roadrunner
>medly from Kids - My Gen/Naked Eye on IOW).  That to me is the Who at their
>finest and Keith is the catalyst.  Aw hell, what more can I say that hasn't
>been said already?  We all love and miss Keith and don't let any of the
>“moving on“ crap that the surviving members of the Who say about him - THEY
>miss him too, no doubt about it.

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!! Man, I love you!  Drummers today though, they just, y;know, hit the drums in the right places and that's it.  Keith was like...  the best.  He could never be anything BUT the best because first and foremost, he loved playing the drums, possibly even more than he loved drinking.  THAT'S what made him so good.  He was a passionate guy.  With true style.  And flair, and imagination, and... *sigh*  I'm shutting up now...

>Thanks for listening - watch your women around that Daltrey guy!!!!

He'll be perfectly safe with me, dear boy.  Can't say the same for that Townshend fella though...

>“...the truth as you want to hear it?  I can't do that... you couldn't
>afford me.“  Keith Moon

What a guy.  Can I marry him (if he wasn't already, umm, dead.)?!

Substitute my coke for gin.

Your email address says a lot about you.
Express yourself @ another.com
http://another.com/jump.jsp?destDesc=another.com/login.jsp?sig=393