Rog/Kenney and Phil Collins

Sorry to bring up this issue again, but I had problems posting recently so I
just wanted to throw another two cents worth regarding the Roger and Kenney
issue and throw you a "hypothetical"...

There's an issue of MOJO magazine dating back a few years.  I believe it's a
1996 or 97 issue, but I do know that it has Neil Young on the cover right
around his Harvest Moon release.  Anyway, it's a WHO-filled issue and
there's a full length interview with Roger D and they cover the Kenney Jones
controversy.

Rog says that Kenney is a great drummer, but his style didn't mix well with
the Who.  I might be off a little, but the exact quote goes something like
this:  "...Kenney in the Who was like Cadillac wheel covers on a Roll Royce.
Both are excellent, but they don't match."  That summed it up pretty well
for me.

And in regards to somebodys question of - why Rog didn't object to Kenney
joining the band at the very first?  If I recall another interview I read
(could be the same one) the other members (Pete and John) vetoed HIM,
because they were the "musicians" in the band and they felt most comfortable
with Kenney over other drummers who either auditioned or expressed interest.
They had jammed with Kenney a number of times; Kenney played on the Tommy
film soundtrack and made a few demos with Pete.  Methinks, Rog couldn't say
much after that seeing as how he doesn't play an instrument.  Which brings
up another "drummer" note, but a hypothetical one...

I saw an interview with Phil Collins (who for my money, WAS one of the
finest rock drummers there ever was - before he went to those damned
electronic drums and that crappy ballad/pop he makes) who said that he
called Pete right after Keith died and said that he would quit Genesis in a
second to play drums for the Who.  According to Phil, he said that Pete told
him that they hadn't figured out what they were going to do yet and thanks
but no thanks.  Does anyone agree with me that Phil Collins on drums
would've really been a cool thing in the Who?  Power and finesse.  An
improvisational flair that every drummer to play in the Who since Keith has
lacked?

I dunno, personally I think that would've been pretty cool.  I saw Clapton a
few years ago when Collins played drums (and REAL drums - not those damned
computer things) the whole tour.  No duets, or Collins tunes - he was just a
drummer.  And DAMN if his wailing didn't bring the usually slumbering
Clapton alive.  Seen Clapton three times and this time was by far his best
that I had seen.  The way that Collins was drumming really made me think of
Keith and his unique interplay with Pete - the same "feel" was working
between Clapton and Collins.  I really think Collins would have fit in well
in the Who.  But that's my more-than-two-cents.

Be well all...

Jim in Colorado Springs (who hasn't really missed Chicago yet - Bears suck
more than usual this year!)

"We got richer much later than I expected.  Now I'm too old to enjoy my
money."  JAE