Re: Quadrophenia film

>To continue from a letter I wrote a while back about my friend Fred, who i
>have coverted to a full fledged who fan and who himself has coverted his
>sister and others into who fans, i now must say a few things about our
>experience watching Quadrophenia for the first time.

Sharp little movie, eh?  It's often described as a "cult classic," but it's
not, is it?  It's the real thing.  It runs on the Indpendent Film Channel
along with the art films and seems perfectly at home.

>Needless to say that we were both very,very impressed.  Being a filmmaker
>myself I can say that this was not an amateurish production done for self
>promotion.  It has an almost docu-drama feel at times but that is not a
>criticism.

They did seem to get the look and feel of the sixties right.  Though I've
never lived in England, I'd expect that it was very authentic.

>I was amazed at the restraint the director had when shooting,as
>well as the taut editing which all helped to make the film's pace constant
>and very entertaining.  Everything they got wrong in the TOMMY MoVIE, they
>got right on this production.

You'll have to have a look at WHITE CITY.  Pete's CHINESE EYES is an odd
little film, but WHITE CITY has the same realistic quality as QUAD, and
though it's more of an obscure documentary than a movie, it's still somewhat
haunting.  Pete would be a very artistic film maker.  (As an aside, I think
one of his daughters is planning to be a film director.)

>(I could have done without the washroom scene in the beginning though thats
>a bit more male nudity than we were expecting)

British humor.  Watch it again and tell me if their er, equipment doesn't
get bigger as they sing louder.  I think it's costume.

>That acknowledgment to Pete in the
>credits makes me think there was a profound influence.
>Just some conjecture and observation on my part,

Some perhaps.  I believe the acknowledgment had to do with use of the music,
though.

keets