RE: Keith. Period.

>Let me tell you, Zack is no Keith Moon.  Period.
>Those who have suggested that Zack is as good, or even (dare I say it)
>better (I think my buddy Stu may even have gone there once in his
>excitement), haven't done a side-by-side listen.

Folks are getting completely carried away when they compare Zak to Moon.
Zak is himself, and that has some definite advantages as far as being a
drummer for The Who goes.  Keith Moon was fast when he was a kid, but he
burnt out.  Think there is any way he could be as fast now, assuming he had
made it through?  And how would he have made the transition to what Pete
wrote later on?

Zak can do what TED need.  He's dependable, interesting, shows up, doesn't
pass out in the middle of concerts.  People should take him for Zak Starkey.

>I'm curious to hear Zack in the studio.

That will be interesting.  He's almost too accomplished, don't you think?
He shifts so easily to different syles and tends to fade into the
background.  It does seem to go with their current style, though.  The Ox is
doing that too, sort of playing a backdrop for Pete's solos.  It doesn't
come across as well recorded as it does live, and they'll have to work to
get that atmospheric effect onto a cd.

> >I think Devo are pretty well entrenched in the New Wave genre.  There are
>
> >few surprises, thought, aren't there?
>
>I'm starting to resign myself to that fact.  B52's too?

Yeah, I'd say.  ;)

> >I would never have put The Who in
> >there.  Fits, though.
>
>Wooaaaaaaaa.  I wouldn't classify The Who as New Wave.  Never!
>My argument has only been that *some* of Pete's writing (music and lyrics)
>in he early 80's sounds new-wave-ish. I can't figure out *what* The Who is.
>  They keep moving around, the little buggers!
>The only way I can describe them is, and it's crude but has deep meaning,
>is "they kick fucking ass".  They *do*.  :-)
>All good things wrapped up in one, I guess.

They're The Who, of course.  Creative and innovative.  You can bet folks are
watching what they do now, too.

A couple of folks have commented on how up-to-date their sound is right now.
  They've been off the road as a four/five piece for almost twenty years,
but they've nailed the important points of the modern style, plus integrated
all the old technique that they've accumulated through the years.  Anybody
listening to them has got to hear something new, and it's likely to spin off
a number of new and different sounds.  Anybody ready to hear rock
revitalized?

Did I mention that I can hear speed-metal in TED's early eighties stuff?
That's where you're hearing New Wave too, right?

keets