RE: Keith. Period.

>From: "Brian Cady" <cadyb@home.com>
>Subject: Re: re-Roger & Kenney
>  He got very good reviews at first with some writers even saying he
>was better that Moon.

I've heard a bunch of critics say the stupidest stuff on *this* tour too.

>It's an important thing to remember when praising Zak now.  If The Who put
>out a new studio album and the drumming is bland, all this goodwill towards
>Zak could evaporate very quickly.
>        -Brian in Atlanta

Ironic, I just did a specific comparison between Moon and Zack. I had the
distinct pleasure yesterday of being able to sit in my rental, facing the
beach and listen to the Camden show (thanks Kathy:)
while. ....um,......well...checking out the surf...yeah, that's it.  I was
concentrating on Zack much of the time. I then went for an exciting drive in
Redwood country south of San Fran. and had LAL in the CD player.  I was
concentrating on Moon much of the time.
Let me tell you, Zack is no Keith Moon.  Period.
Those who have suggested that Zack is as good, or even (dare I say it)
better (I think my buddy Stu may even have gone there once in his
excitement), haven't done a side-by-side listen.

Wow, that Nissan commercial with BOR just came on the TV :)  (OH Yeah, GO
SKINS! i hate losing)

Keith Moon makes me shake my head in honest disbelief.  He's almost
ridiculous at times.  But the big difference, is that he seems to be at this
level which is lightning fast, and does it like he has a plan.  The thought
that goes into his licks.  They're organized.  You can hear it being
telegraphed, and just hope he can pull it off.  Then before you finish your
thought, he nails it.  Baaaaam! I mean he nails the damn thing.
It tells you how fast the man's mind was.  He was a classic Ritalin
candidate.

Don't get me wrong, Zack is great with The Who.  The best fit out there.
But his playing is sometimes not organized.  And, although he's fast and
hits the Tom's with a vengeance, he doesn't have the jaw-dropping /
head-shaking / eye-popping speed that Keith does. If Zack is doing 16ths,
Keith is doing 32nds. There's simply no comparison to Keith.  Keith's
performance on LAL, ok arguably The Who's best, blows the best performance
of Bonnam away.  Happy Jack is just Bombastic!  It's an out-and-out
schooling.
I'm curious to hear Zack in the studio.

>From: "L. Bird" <pkeets@hotmail.com>
>I think Devo are pretty well entrenched in the New Wave genre.  There are a

>few surprises, thought, aren't there?

I'm starting to resign myself to that fact.  B52's too?

>I would never have put The Who in
>there.  Fits, though.

Wooaaaaaaaa.  I wouldn't classify The Who as New Wave.  Never!
My argument has only been that *some* of Pete's writing (music and lyrics)
in he early 80's sounds new-wave-ish.
I can't figure out *what* The Who is.  They keep moving around, the little
buggers!
The only way I can describe them is, and it's crude but has deep meaning, is
"they kick fucking ass".  They *do*.  :-)
All good things wrapped up in one, I guess.

>  What do you think they would have done in the late
>eighties?
>keets

Hurts to think about.  Really.
I guess we'll never know.