Overindulgence is in the eye of the indulger

I want to stick my big nose in a thread that Mark & Kevin have been
discussing:  How much Who is too much, and where is the line that should not
be crossed?

This is a very subjective matter, but one that I find very interesting.  I
stepped up to that line yesterday and decided to pull back from that line.

I found out that roundtrip airfare could be had between Boston and Atlanta
for $155.  Knowing that I have family in Atlanta, a few extra vacation days
to blow, and that some of the posters here (Mark & Brian in particular) will
be there, I investigated further.  Lo and behold, Ticketmaster still has
some seats available!  OK, now all I have to do is get my rationalizations
together to explain to my daughter that Santa may be showing up a bit light
this year because Daddy wants to throw down $300 to hear loud music.  I put
that thought together with the fact that I am going to one of the MSG shows
a week later and BAM! I stepped back from the line.

Step back to the late 70s.  I was in my early teens when I read a poem in
Creem magazine that described the scene at a Who concert very vividly.  I do
not have that poem (it would be great if someone here has it), but I clearly
remember its description of Who fans as "guzzle tokers" having the times of
their lives.  I had to step over that line!

Forward again to 1998.  My re-emerging Who obsession is rekindled when it is
announced that Pete and "Friends" will play electric for the first time
since 1983 in my backyard in a small outdoor venue called Harborlights.  I
am giddy.  I show up early (alone) to hear the sound check and I feel 15
again and lucky to be present for such a thing.  I needed to cross that
line!

Still in 1998:  As I am loitering outside the gates listening to PT&Friends
limp through a lame rendition of See Me Feel Me with a backing gospel choir,
I eavesdrop on some 40-something fans who are also loitering.  They have
come from far and wide to see this show and each other, but their
conversation revolves around trading tapes of old shows and how much the
current shows suck in comparison to the old days.  These guys should have
stepped back from the line years ago!

Jeff