For all the Keef and Sknynrd Haters

From: "Mark R. Leaman" <mleaman@sccoast.net>
Subject: Tattoo Who?

>  Even thought The Stones have made a good number of Classic albums, both of
>  these included, The Who made more and for a longer period. If it's a
>  percentage, the Stones lose big time because up till Between The Buttons
>  the albums were nothing special, and after Goat's Head ditto. Songs here
>  and there, but spotty.
C'mon,
        Seriously, Mark- You think that Aftermath,  Out of Our Heads, Some
Girls, and all the other efforts they've made outside of the 5 year glory
period were "Nothing special?" The Who made more classic albums than the
Stones?  I'm not here to rag on the Who. I've loved the hell outta the Who
since I got my first record (Magic Bus and My Generation in a single-non
gatefold sleeve) in the summer of 79. That's why I'm on this list. However, I
don't see why you need to shoot down Keef and his boys in order to make your
point about how great the Who are. As for their other albums being nothing
special, I disagree. I'm not a moron; I get it that they're not
earth-shattering albums, but they do have at least a few excellent toons a
piece, and if you're willing to give them a try, there are some really
worthwhile moments there. Also, if you add up their "Songs here and there",
I'd say that's quite a bunch.
        There's something no one can deny about Keef, at least he keeps on
working (much like that Townshend guy). Did anybody hear Wingless Angels? Not
many, I'm sure, but its there and its great if you're ever interested.
         Should the Stones just quit and give up? I hate the "I'm getting out
while I'm on top, Michael Jordan" type philosophy. Humans should keep on
going until they are detracting from the team, and no way are the Stones at
that point. Anyone who saw them last spring (15 months ago), has to believe
that its worthwhile to the overall human struggle, that they keep going.
Surely, as a fan of TED, you should subscribe to that belief.
                                    Peace,
                                            Shawn M. McKelvey

PS As far as Sknyrd goes, you gotta be kidding around. These guys pumped out
toon after toon in a short period of time. I've heard them all WAY TOO MUCH
as well, but I've heard Who's Next equally WAY TOO MUCH. Haven't you? The
playing is of a scholarly level and the humanity and honesty behind the whole
Lynyrd concept is monumental. Again, I dig the Allman Bros. a lot; why is
that a point why Skynyrd sucks? You guys really believe they're on a par with
Loverboy?!?! Loverboy was one of the worst bands in recorded history (along
with REO and Styx).