PTs new playing style

Lee Wallace wrote:
"This year, Townshend has been playing some of the
coolest slabs of guitar mayhem I've ever heard. Even
at this stage of his career he has managed to stretch
out his technique and experiment with totally new
harmonic and phrasing ideas and make it EXCITING. Not
only does he play "fast" and "tricky" shit up there,
but it MEANS SOMETHING in the context of the song."

Lee,
Can you expand on this in relation to the MP3s Pete has favored us with?  I
am hearing some fun new Pete (not the same as the old Pete) on Relay from
San Diego and 5:15 from MSG.  I particularly like the train sounds on 5:15.
The first time I heard it I laughed.  It sounds like an old blues harp trick
to me.

I am no guitarist, but I like to think I can identify fun & funk.

Jeff