Re: [JohnEntwistle] Digest Number 118

>Luongo adds an interesting depth to it--I hadn't thought about JAE
> >being such a pragmatist.  Anybody else have commnets?
>
>Yes - what do you mean by your penultimate sentence? ;)

This soundtrack has fantasy elements.  That's no surprise, as the show
offered some opportunities.  I'm a little vague on details now, but I think
it went this way:  Powerful creatures who resemble automobiles land on the
earth and need fossil fuels to eat.  The earth is in danger of being sucked
dry of these and needs to be defended by a group of teens who have
accidently gained super powers.  There's an environmental subtext, but not
much more in the way of depth.  However, the soundtrack casts the whole
thing in terms of good and evil--gas guzzling space monsters - bad,
defending superkids - good (we assume, anyhow).

So I got to thinking about the way John writes, and generally his lyrics are
either quirky or else fairly straight-forward and strongly based on events
and/or concrete symbols.  For VANPIRES he uses a teddy bear, a monster
that's really a peacock, eating your greens, shifting into high gear on the
road and so on.  "Heaven and Hell" is a song where you'd expect he would
talk about good and evil, but really he doesn't.  You just get the usual
angel wings and pitchforks--cute in such a ferocious song, but still very
flat images.  My conclusion is, this soundtrack isn't something that John
would normally write by himself.  He's too based in reality.

So that leaves everybody else who might have contributed.  I'm sure they all
did, but there is a pure example of Luongo's writing in the song, "When You
See the Light," and I notice he's into visual images that have psychic
resonance.  For that reason, I'm attributing most of the the depth in the
concept to him.

The first song with actual lyrics is "Darker Side of Night" which I had
picked up as excellent even from watching the show.  John's written that one
by himself, and it suggests the theme.  The wonderful centerpiece of the
whole thing is the song "Good and Evil," a conversation between the forces
of darkness and light.  It sounds like John doing his Boris voice on the
darkness part, and real children's voices on the light.  Whooo.  Besides
these things, John gives some idea about what it's like to be middle-aged
and unemployed, and the conclusion to the whole thing is that you should
"sieze the day, sieze the night, face the fear."

Besides the clear message, the music is excellent, bass heavy, dark, and
very suitable to the theme.

keets