Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V7 #283

SCHRADE responded to someone else who wrote:
> > I think the point audiophiles were making is what happens when you have
> to listen through
> > problems with the mastering to hear The Who.  Take, for instance, the
> cymbals on the 1995
> > version of "Baba O'Riley". The original version has a lot of hiss on it
> so those in charge
> > of the reissue ran it through tons of processing to get rid of
> it.  They did, but now
> > Moon's cymbals sound more like white noise machines than cymbals.
>
>I'll have to give remastered "Baba" a relisten.  Hey, remember that
>horrible remix of "Baba"
>from the '80's where someone put some kind of echo effect on Moon's drums
>which made
>them sound real weak?  Remember this?  I used to hear it on the radio & it
>made me pretty
>mad because that was *extremely* obvious & uncalled for.  It might've been
>the first MCA
>cheapo CD version.  I'm not sure 'cause I never bought it!
>
>- - SCHRADE in Akron

If you want to hear the best sounding version of BOR, you'll have to find a
copy of the test pressing for the 'Heavy Vinyl' pressing from a few years
ago (the pressing that eventually was released has a dropout in the song -
the test pressing doesn't). *Nothing* compares. Of course, there were only
about 10 copies pressed...

Steve

Steve Marshall
Editor - The Night Owl
stevem@thenightowl.com
<http://www.thenightowl.com>
The best place on the web for music reviews
Member - National Music Critics Association