Whofest 2001

I was informed about discussions on the O&S list concerning fans getting
together, now that there will be no more preshows for a while. As some of
you know, we have had a few Whofests here in Myrtle Beach...so I decided to
give them a glimpse into the future. So here it is, posted before I'd
planned to really but striking while the iron is hot.

Welcome!

I'm told there is discussion about another Who gathering and our humble
Whofests have come up. While I have yet to get the details in order, we are
planning on having a Whofest 2001. Spring would be best, or fall, just
because of the temperatures here...but I'd bet it would be more convenient
during the summer. Having it here in Myrtle Beach has two distinct
advantages. For one, this is a resort with lots of stuff to do, so if the
fan plans his/her vacation around the Fest the family can come along and
have plenty to do. There is so much to do here; I'll leave it to the
interested parties to look it up on the Web.
The second and most important reason is the original US Meher Baba Center.
We toured it during the last Fest and it was hands down the highlight of the
Festival. There are people on this list who can confirm this. Not only is it
interesting (fascinating) to see where Pete wrote material for Lifehouse
("The crabs are swimming around with the starfish") and Quadrophenia (for
instance) and to speak with people who know him personally, many insights
are to be had which aren't planned but just happen. An example: I was told
Baba wrote a book which said we were all sparks off the cosmic wheel...the
book is called Sparks, and undoubtedly this is the origin of the song as
well. And listening to the song with this in mind, you can hear it.
We were fortunate enough to have a guide who was also a Townshend/Who fan,
so we were able to go to a lot of places Pete frequents (the Lantern Cabin)
and see video of Pete playing live. This year the Center has most generously
offered a "Whofest" day, which will be ten times what the tour was.
And with all of this, the best part (for me, anyway) is the meeting of the
other people we interact with online. It's like one big Preshow, with
swimming. People can bring their Who collectibles or anything to contribute,
and of course sharing the experiences is a lot of fun. Other events will be
other events scheduled as we get closer. I do plan to contact Trinfold, in
case they want to send anything. But I must be clear about this: no member
of The Who will be there. At least, not as far as we can expect. If one
wants to come, well they'd be welcomed. But it's not part of the Whofest as
it is right now.
We will post more information as we get it together, and in the meantime
anyone who wants can contact mleaman@sccoast.net with any questions or
suggestions. I realize that MB is not easy for West Coast fans, but there's
no reason why there can't be multiple gatherings. I suggest someone over
there set one up, and perhaps in the middle of the country too. But we hope
lots of you will attend this one, and all are welcome. The more, the better.

"Maybe I missed something here..."
      George W. Bush, in a moment of clarity

        Cheers                 ML