Re: Roger and S+G

>I have listened to the TKAA2K MP3 that Pete posted a few times, and heard a
>tighter interpretation of that lyric on 10/4.  I hear "Sound of Silence" in
>the new "lucky" part that Roger sings at the end.  I suspect that Roger
>came up with the melody.
>
>I am not prepared to defend this perception with any vigor, as I am no S&G
>expert and am prone to wild conjecture.

Well hey, that's fun, isn't it?

I thought you were referring to the quality of the harmony in very
complementary terms, as S&G were well known for being extraordinary in that
department.  It's just funny to compare Roger to Art Garfunkel because their
voices are as diametrically opposite as you can get.  You could compare Pete
to Art--he can do that soft, angelic falsetto, but not Roger.  It's totally
hopeless.  ;)

Pete and Roger's harmony does seem to have altered just lately, as Pete's
voice has changed and he seems to harmonize with different intervals than he
used to.  I hadn't noticed a resemblance to S&G myself, but I gather that
Pete and Roger are now using something of the same interval, and thus sound
similar to you.

As for the songwriting, Roger has said that he "owns" most of the material
on his later solo albums, and he's listed as co-writer on many of the songs.
  There's been some interest in what part of them he wrote, and he may have
answered that question in one of his interviews for this tour, where he said
he had lyrics ready but needed input from The Who for the melody lines.
You'd pretty much expect that, since Roger's a singer much more than a
musician, so lyrics would be where his talents would develop.  I think
you're right that this melody doesn't sound quite like Pete, though, so
maybe Roger has provided the melody, as well, and Pete has applied the
harmony.

I'll have to get out my S&G albums, myself, and have a listen.

keets