Re: The Who Mailing List Digest V7 #271

Mark,

<< "I think that people need to be held responsible for the actions they take
 in life."
          George W. Bush, cocaine user and adulterer by his own admission. >>

While I detest political discussion on a music list, there is a difference
between examining a person's private life and a person's public persona.

I believe the above quote from George Bush is directed at Mr. Gore's actions
while in office in his capacity as an elected official (Al's public persona)
which could use a little closer scrutiny by some one (since Ms. Reno and the
Justice Department won't do it and the media simply turns away).  Every
candidate for public office should have his public persona--that aspect of
the candidate's life which is germane to the candidate's qualifications for
the position for which he runs--examined by the electorate; how else to make
an informed decision?  To suggest that a candidate's private life is also
germane to the decision making process would mean that Bill Clinton, FDR, Ike
or JFK would never have been nominated, much less elected.  I think George
Bush is merely suggesting that Al's propensity to flat out lie about his
actions while in office, participate in possible illegal fund raising
activities, etc., should be examined and he should be held accountable if
appropriate.  I don't have a problem with that; if Al is as clean as he says
he is, then this should not be an issue.

Bruce in Naples