Re: Simon T/Quadrophenia Tour

>Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 23:12:24 +0000
>From: Warren Banks <warren@wuzbug.freeserve.co.uk>
>
>I had hoped that Geoff Whitehorn, who played at Hyde Park, would be filling
>in, but sadly, no.

I, on the other hand, was much happier seeing Simon than Geoff play,
because I never believed that Geoff was paying attention to what was going
on in the show; he was too busy mugging and playing to the chicks-n-dudes
in the first 5 rows.  This is not just my opinion; after the LAST of 6
Madison Square Garden shows he said "I feel like I'm starting to get
Quadrophenia!"...and it was NOT said in the manner of someone who had
studied it deeply and had just acquired some new understanding, more like
someone who just realized there was something there TO study.  By contrast,
Simon's heart was in his playing all the way.  Given that someone other
than Pete was going to play electric until the Quadrophenia instrumental,
I'll take Simon any day.

>The show as a whole was still great, because it was The Who, and because of
>the power of The Wondrous Thing called Quadrophenia.
>At the end of the show, when just TED took a bow, I genuinely had a lump in
>my throat - they were my boys.

I sympathize.

>>Troll alert.
>
>Sorry, can't get your banter; presumably this means that you don't agree
>with P in P - but I do.

Troll = someone who sends inflammatory messages (which they may or may not
actually believe) just to watch the howls of outrage.  Notice that the
original post was not in response to any prior post, contained thoughtless
insults toward Simon and The Who, misspelled the putative city of their
origin, and most telling of all, was untraceably anonymous through the
esteemed (not) services of AOL.  You obviously have thoughtful comments to
make about Simon's playing, which I respect though I don't agree with them.
The original post to which you responded was simply meaningless babble.

Cheers,

Alan
"That's unbelievable, if that's true."
   --Howard Stern, 5/25/00