Pop Who

Whodathoughtit?  A shit piece of writing in Rolling Stone starts an
interesting discussion ;-)

An all-pop Who tour (Meaty Beaty 2001?) would be boring.  The most
compelling thing about Who concerts to me has always been the energy, drama,
and jamming that are the antithesis of "pop" performance.  The progressive
and bluesy numbers provide the best structures to hang these types of
performances on.  But then again maybe its just semantics we are really
talking about.

It seems to me that "pop" performances are defined by sticking to the music
on the page or on the original recording.  This is because "pop" relies more
on the song and less on the performance of the musicians.

Jeff