"But break out, and start a fire, y'all..."

RE:

>>> By the way, why don't you come to Texas and try calling me Peewee to my
face? We'll  see just how 'justifiably arrogant' you are then. I promise,
I'll be very  'hospitibabal'. <<<

AND:

>>> And Bush likes Country, or as they say in Texas "Cunt-tree." <<<

>>> My advice:listen to more Who. Stop drinking Mad Dog 20/20 every night
until you pass out. Get a truck without a rifle rack and a "Goat Ropers Need
Love Too" bumpersticker...And most importantly, don't take yourself so
damned seriously. <<<

Now, now, gentlemen.
Partisan pettiness aside, let's not add geographical insults to this.
There are those around the world that still believe stereotypical depictions
of Southerners as being violent, gun-toting primitives.
(Of course our international neighbours often mistakenly think this is a
characteristic of all Americans, but Southerners certainly seem to bear the
brunt of it. ) Let us not fuel the fires of intolerance by stooping to the
threat of violence nor to gross generalisations about Southerners, Texans or
the like.

By the way, Mad Dog 20/20 is not a traditionally Southern libation.
Indeed, it's apparent appeal to mendicants, students, and other
cash-challenged dipsomanics is not geographically-specific.
(See: http://www.pub.umich.edu/daily/1997/apr/04-10-97/arts/arts3.html)
It's not at all popular in Texas, for example.
Although I am what Paul Weller might term an "Internationalist", I do
consider myself to be quite quintessentially Texan [and therefore
relunctantly Southern by default]. I can attest that I have never tasted the
dizzying delights of Mad Dog 20/20, nor driven a any vehicle bearing any
rack other than a clothes rack! Also, I find any mention of a bumpersticker
proclaiming an affinity for goat roping to be quite inexplicable, cattle far
outnumber goats around these parts.

But before this thread descends into a cyberspace version of "Dueling
Banjos" let us all try for a little openmindedness here !!!  :-)

Speaking of openmindedness and geographical generalisations, I came across
this article about the London rock music scene on the London Net's online
Rock and Pop Music section:

   >>> London can lay claim to some truly memorable homegrown talent; The
Rolling Stones; The Small Faces; The Kinks; David Bowie; The Clash; The Sex
Pistols; The Jam; Madness; Primal Scream; The Chemical Brothers and hey,
lest we forget All Saints and The Spice Girls. It has also been a settling
ground for nurturing the talents of a far flung musical population; from 60s
legend Jimi Hendrix to recent adoptees Blur and Oasis. <<<

That laundry list is so large that it includes musical heavyweights like the
Kinks and the Clash, and even stoops to include talentless tartlets like The
Spice Girls, how could they possibly justify omitting The Who? The Who made
an indelible mark on the London music scene so this omission is near-heresy,
in my opinion.

By the way, that column's November monthly music listings do mention The
Who's London show at the Docklands Arena but there is no mention of either
Wembley show. They do mention the scheduled Page+Crowes show at Wembley,
however.

Any speculation on why The Who were left off the list? Comments?

As the old saying goes, genius is often least recognised closest to home.

--- Sherridan

Say Bye to Slow Internet!
http://www.home.com/xinbox/signup.html