Re: Roger pontificates

>Jon said "I saw in an interview where Daltrey said The Who can't really
>be classified in any character: thet weren't Chuck Berry stye rock, nor
>blues, nor jazz.  They broke the mold.  Like the Beatles, The Who will
>never be repeated."
>
>I am sure to start a flame thread here, but I gotta offer my opinion.  I
>think Roger tries to sound like Pete sometimes.  He failed with this
>comment.  I disagree.
>
>The Who's music is not THAT unique.  It is a mixture of many styles that
>went before it with the infusion of the unique personalities of its
>members.  That is what great creative rock is about: creating something
>new while building on the past.  Funny you should mention Chuck Berry,
>because he was only unique because he was not afraid to mix hillbilly
>with blues and develop his own personal take on his instrument of choice.
>

>Don't get me wrong.  The Who certainly broke lots of ground with their
>use of volume, synthesizers and deep lyrical content.  I agree that the
>Who will never be repeated.  There could never be a confluence of events
>and personalities like this band.
>
>Jeff

Jeff -
you started by saying you disagreed ,yet in your last paragraph you do
agree....?

Of course their sound is not THAT unique now - they've been copied by
everyone from the Beatles to Robbie Williams at this stage.
But if you look at it that way,then who is unique?
the beatles certainly aren't .

One way I look at the uniqueness of the Who is with who they have
influenced.
McCartney has said he wrote Helter Skelter as a response to the Who creating
a great rock sound.
They were also an influence on The Jam,Sex Pistols and in the 90s on acts
such as Oasis,Robbie Williams.
While along the way Hard rock acts have also been heavily influenced - WASP
covered The Real Me - Metallica and G'n'R always mentioned them.
The stones,Queen also did.
And they are just the obvious ones - there are countless others who have
tried to emulate the who.

so basically - i agree with roger on this one..
JC