Simon Phillips

John in Evanston:

>Re Simon Phillips-  I've been a percussionist for 30+ years, and Simon
>Phillips on "Sparks" (Join Together) is one of the finest recorded
>performances ever, IMHO.

Couldn't agree with you more.  I think Simon is a phenomenal
drummer/percussionist too.  Albeit, some of his style kind of clashed with
The Who, but I think he fit in much, much better than Kenney Jones - who I
also think is a fine drummer, although his style doesn't mesh with the
Shephard's Bush Three, IMHO.

Daltrey said it best when asked in an interview to explain why there was
apparent animosity towards Kenney Jones.  It went like this:  "No offense
against Kenney; he's an excellent drummer, but he didn't fit with us well.
It's like putting Cadillac wheel covers on a Rolls Royce.  Both excellent,
but they don't match."  Well said Little Singer.

This quote came from MOJO magazine about three/four years ago (sorry, can't
remember the issue date) and I took a little liberties with the exact quote,
but you get the idea.  The "wheel cover" analogy worked for me when I read
it and I DO remember that.  As for the issue of Mojo it was it, all I can
remember is that there's a black and white picture of Neil Young on the
cover.  Okay kids, be alright...

Jim in Chicago

"No, it means that we're blocked up all the time..."  PT.
is unauthorized.