CD prices

Brian mentions joining Columbia house, and their two for one deals etc.
Although I have to admit that I purchased a lot of CD's there I the past
(repalcing old vinyl mostly), I have dropped my membership for two reasons;

1 - minor one in that my tastes have gone beyond their collections and;
2 - Major one - I have read that Columbia House does not pay any royalties
to the musicians who's music they sell - apparently it is (or was?) a
standard condition of a band contract that allowed this, so when you buy a
Columbia House CD, your fav. musician is missing out on their income....

Please correct me if I am wrong

Steve up here in Canada