RE: Words and notes

> From: "Scott Schrade" <schrade@akrobiz.com>
> Anne,
> Well, I could talk about Pete's lyrics all day.  As I've stated before, I
> think Pete's
> lyrics are often overlooked when WHO accolades are being discussed.
> - - SCHRADE in Akron

	[O'Neal, Kevin W.]  I wish I had the time to really dig into this
discussion, because that's how important it is, BUT....
	All I can say is that I hang on every word Pete writes. His
thoughts/lyrics are what has separated The Who from other bands. Yes,
obviously The Who has many other talents, but no other band guides me in
life like The Who (Pete).  My friends, music doesn't guide a person, words
do.  The music is just a very pleasant added bonus that gets me THROWING
FURNITURE!!!!!!!
	 (Ahhhhh, fond memories of late night drunken deck furniture
throwing as The Who blasts at 2 in the morn.)
	 The same way Floyd's The Wall once brought me down to the depths of
depression, The Who has saved my life more than once. Inspiration,
empowerment, honest, descriptive, and right in your face.

> > And I'm gonna take some heat for this, but Slash is a
> > great lead player, just spotty at times.
> ( more vomiting, convulsing, etc. )

	[O'Neal, Kevin W.]  I agree Slash is a good player, but I also am
vomiting and even convulsing.  Read what "redchin" has written below on
"screaming masturbatory soloing".   ;-)

> From: Phil McRevis <legalize@xmission.com>
> I have always liked how Pete uses water...
>     Drowned
>     Water
>     Sea Refuses No River

	[O'Neal, Kevin W.]  It's all the flow of life and energy man, all
just a flowin'.

> From: "Mark R. Leaman" <mleaman@sccoast.net>
> 4) Townshend's backing vocals are more often a scream than singing, a
> trend
> I noticed first during the Quad tour. It might be he is forced to do this
> by
> "Father Time," however he didn't for Storytellers so I don't think so. I
> hope he doesn't do it this summer, but I'd bet he does. Pity.

	[O'Neal, Kevin W.]  Yeah, I've been wondering about this.
Storytellers proved he doesn't *have* to go to the primal yalt/scream. And
you're right, he seems to have started this during the Quad tour.  At first
I really didn't like it.  Now, it's growing on me a bit.  BUT after watching
Storytellers, I'm bummed at what we're missing when he reverts to the
"screaming" style.

> From: redchin
>  One of the things
> that drew me to The Who in 1975 was the lack of screaming, masturbatory
> solos.

	[O'Neal, Kevin W.] And this is the type of soloing that I was
talking about (not that Pete's is masturbatory), and that Pete is a bit
rusty at *NOW*.  Pete can take a guitar and take control of a show by
playing alone. He feels, he expresses his passions, he gets mad, he beats on
the damn thing and makes it scream for mercy, and then he turns around and
strokes it lovingly like you stroke the back of your child's head (no, no
kids yet for me). That is soloing too, and he's damn good at it, if not one
of the best.
	What I was being critical of (and I think others as well) is when he
tries to do some of the fast finger picking type soloing.
	To me, he is simply a bit out of practice.  Once he gets back into
full swing (no pun there) he'll start to "hit" those picking solo's, and
then will start to mix in all the good starts and stops and bends and
harmonics, etc.  If it all come together, look out.  The potential is
frightening.
	BTW, why is your chin red?  ;-)

	Stay in tune,
	Kevin in VT.