From: Nick Boyer [mailto:slipkid905@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2000 10:58 AM
To: thewho@igtc.com
Subject: Re: Pete Riff

> > Regarding Pete's solos, I have to say that I was impressed with some
> > of the fast finger work he did during 5:15.  He plays a lick in a
> > style that reminded me of Eddie Van Halen (there's a name for it, but
> > I'm not a guitarist and can't remember what Nick (from Salt Lake)
> > called it when we talked about it on the phone).

He seems to do some occational fretboard tapping.  I've seen him do it on
the SBE video I have, but if you listen to the 5:15 on BTTB he does some
right before john's bass solo (which makes me want to break stuff every time

I hear it)

Another thing he's uses a lot now that he hasn't in the past is the whammy
bar on the strat.  I am *really* impressed with the way he uses it, I
haven't heard anyone who is so aggressive with it. (like the SBE Who are you

on the Lifehouse Box)

That also might be some indicator as to why he likes using the Eric Clapton
Strat so much.  I recently bought one, and the tremolo system (part of what
involves the whammy bar) is really great.  A lot of strat's will go out of
tune if you do the kind of whammy bar dives that pete does, but I haven't
had that problem with mine.

Nick in UT