No Subject

The auction for Mozambique is moving along now and an announcement about
the dates will be made soon. As we've already posted the Double O
Charity has made an advance donation towards the fund and Pete has asked
that some information regarding the situation in Mozambique be posted.

The following is an extract of a report posted by Kate Horne, who is the
Oxfam GB country representative in Mozambique.

"In the Oxfam office on Monday we started gathering information from the
local municipal councils, the Mozambican Red Cross and other agencies in
Maputo. By Wednesday, we knew that most of northern Maputo province and
Gaza province were seriously affected and, after meeting with the other
agencies, we decided to provide water and sanitation support in those
areas. The great irony of a flood is that there is water all over the
place, but none that can be healthily consumed.

The biggest camp, which became a temporary home to 50,000 people, sprang
up two weeks ago in Chiaquelane, after the second wave of water came
down the Limpopo and flooded the nearby town of Chokwe. Chokwe was
already providing refuge to many, as it was on relatively high ground.
Then the town started disappearing. Some people ran for it, some swam
for it and some were swept away and we don't know what happened to
them".

The fact that the disaster in Mozambique is no longer the top news story
doesn't mean it has gone away. If you want to find out more about
Oxfam's relief effort please check out their website at
http://www.oxfam.org.uk