Storytellers review

Repost from The Shout:

YES ! I was there too and it was an absolutely fabulous experience ! But
let's start from the beginning. I definitely wanted to go but was facing
some financial problems plus the fact that VH 1 is not broadcasted in The
Netherlands, so it would be very difficult to participate in any competition
and obtain a ticket. But at the end of last week, the financial part
improved a bit and I decided to go to London anyway. But, good fortune, the
day before my departure I received a message that there was a ticket for me.
  Uncle Vinnie, from Spain, had received 2 tickets from VH 1, and one of
them was for me. I simply couldn't believe it ! Upon arrival on Wednesday I
went looking for Porchester Hall, the location of the shooting. It happened
to be on walking distance from my hotel. That day and on Thursday it became
clear that most of the tickets distributed by VH 1 (and they seemd to have
had only a very few) had ended up in the hands of real Who fans. So standing
in line in front of Porchester Hall became one big Who reunion , although in
practice the number of real fans among the audience was limited. As you
might know a small number of tickets was available through the VH1
competition, then a few were distributed through the competition (via
internet) of a radiostaion (or something like that, I forgot the name,
sorry), there were tickets (ofcourse) distributed to VH 1 employees (even
from the US) and Eelpie staff, and I guess also to Gateway. Last but not
least Metro (a free daily newspaper distributed in London rail and tube
stations) had a competition on Thursday itself. If you phoned a particular
number and left your name and tel.number you could win one of the 10 tickets
they had (a few Who fans managed to get one this way!). All in all the
result of this odd distribution was an audience of which the minority
consisted of "real" fans.  After entering the hall, VH 1 staff allocated
everybody on particular places and seats (there were a couple of chaise
longues (sofas) placed in the front row). This caused several problems
because initially the fan-group more or less complete was to be placed on
the side from which one could only watch Pete's back. After protest (We're
real fans and not coming all the way from
X/Y/Z to watch Pete's back!), and walking away to better seats, we got
seats in the mid front of the stage , but no front row, only 2nd row and on.
  On the front row at random other visitors were placed, suite types, some
goodlookers etc. The result of this was, clearly, that during the show, only
the fan-group was singing, clapping, rocking in their seats, jumping up and
dancing. The rest of the audience, including the front row sat as statues. I
got a 2nd row seat, and Bjorn (he really has good karma) was at the last
moment asked by the director to sit in the front row (he will definitely
write in detail about this). No doubt the fan-group, due to the seating,
will be in
the picture several times, and we now already announce a new competition;
Spot as many fans as possible in the final broadcasting ! The winner will
receive a very special ticket for the first upcoming concert (Who or solo).
The concert was great; the intimacy of the hall, the living room feeling,
Pete in a good mood and talking extensively in between songs. There was also
a Question and Answer session which was (oh no) opened by an American woman
of whom I got the impression that she wanted to impress Pete somehow and
show off to the audience. She didn't really had a question and finally got
what she (I guess) wanted, a kiss from Pete. Let's hope this will end up in
the dustbin. The impression that this Storytellers shooting by Pete
will be used to promote Lifehouse Chronicles was, apart from the selection
of songs, confirmed by the fact that the director himself twice asked Pete a
question, one to explain where Baba O'Riley is about and next to tell
something about Lifehouse. I won't go in detail into the setlist, that's for
other fans to write about. As to be expected it was a Lifehouse summary.
However what moved me very much too, was Pete's solo encore. He said he was
asked to do Slit Skirts. Obviously not having sung and played this for a
long time, he sat down behind the keyboard, searching for the right keys and
words, and at a certain moment even briefly singing acapella, because he
couldn't get the right keys. I loved it ! All in all it was an unforgettable
experience ! Matt was also there, and it was nice seeing him and talking to
him. He seemed cheered up a bit after the deceptions of the chatroom closure
and Storytellers ticket affair. After the show we went for a late night
dinner with a group of fans, which was a much needed and nice end to a great
evening !