another repost

Quote from John, plus commentary from list memeber:

        "I had a choice when I left school of either going to art school or
music school, but there was some trouble from my family about the music
thing and I didn't particularly want to go to art school so I went into the
tax office, where at least I was starting to earn money.  I stayed there for
about two and a half years, but all the time I was playing in a band for
about five or six nights a week."

Art school was fairly easy to get into but as I understand it John was
offered a place at the Royal Academy of Music for which you have to be
pretty damn good (I know people who went there and they were highly trained
before they even walked through the door). However, I don't know exactly but
perhaps the grant for music college was discretionary (ie it's up to your
local authority whether or not they want to give you the money to pay the
fees, whereas they have to stump up for you to go to university). My own
personal opinion is that had he fought for it he could have gone, but being
John he yielded to family pressure and didn't go to college because his
mother wanted him to get a good safe job and he could make do music-wise by
being in a band.