repost from The Shout

Author:
              WhoDude

      Subject:
                 Method - Pete's thoughts.
      Date:
              Monday 03/13/2000 2:52:39 AM
      Hey Pete Freaks:

      Here's the dialogue about Method. I asked Pete this question at
the Press Conference at Sadler's
      Wells on Thursday, 2-24-00. FWIW...

      Me: Could you comment a little bit about Method, and uh, how the
contributions from the fans,
      y'know, purchasing Method will come back out

      Pete: I'm talking to a bunch of people now about the software.
What I envisage is... is... is this.
      Um... When I sit to write a song, um, I can come at it from a
number of different ways. But i know
      that what I'm doing is what we actually call channeling. Y'know,
I went to John's the other day, to
      do some checking checking on, on the live who tracks that we
recorded in Chicago, and Shepard's
      Bush, that Bobbie Pridden is mixing at John's Entwistle's studio.
And I realized that I haven't been to
      John's house in 18 years. (Hearty Laugh from MajorTom). Um...
What's different now, is that he's got
      his own streetlights! (heartier laughter from MajorTom and
myself). Apart from that, it's all the same.
      Oh yeah, he's got forty -two Rottweilers. (MajorTom says, "...and
more guitars!") What was very
      interesting about that for me is that I had to go into his
studio, and I had to do a bit of singing. And
      um, and when you sing, you... you... you kind of, you test the
room, somehow. It's the first thing
      you do, you open up and you start to sing. And there's a kind of
little psychic thing goes on. And I
      think, maybe i'm not articulating it, but everybody who sings and
performs, knows (unintelligible). But
      I open up these little psychic doors to see if it's safe. And if
it's not safe you just don't open. (Pete
      demonstrates by singing with his hand over his mouth.) But if
it's safe, you open them up, and you
      stand kind of psychicly naked, and what happens is that stuff
starts to come through. And that's
      very weird, y'know. And I'm not saying that other people come and
play my fingers y'know that
      doesn't happen. But you definately feel that you're channeling
energy in a much more direct and
      pure way. And in John's studio, uh, despite the fact that I
haven't been to his house for a long time,
      I felt immediately comfortable. And felt that -obviously because
he's my old friend, I felt completely
      safe in his place, but I just noted. I though fuck, this is so
interesting. I feel so completely, utterly,
      (something else) safe. I can afford to open those psychic doors.
That first idea, that first moment,
      that first point at which you discover what it is that is going
to be the engine, the purpose, the
      reason for writing the song. I know this makes me sound like I'm
trying to be some great composer,
      but i'm talking about writing something like y'know, Love Ain't
for Keeping. What is it that actually
      triggers it? What is it that makes it, y'know. What makes the
reason for writing? What inspires it?
      What triggers it? It could be a chord. It could a feeling. It
could be a mood. Trying to lift that...
      mood. To get that, from you. To get that from you... at a
particular point in time, what I need to
      look at is your metabolism, biology, electric, electrical energy
and feed that back to you so you can
      actually see yourself, and then trust... me enough so that we can
then go on to a slightly more
      psychic level. And I don't mean that we're being like a medium...
I mean just, for example, if we,
      i-i-i-in (shut up man, ya sound like a motorboat ---Sorry, I
couldn't resist!) In a strictly built and
      braces way, you and I can chuck data into a computer program...
There are about four or five of
      them available today which do this and um... If we get the
algorhythms right it will produce music.
      Brian Eno's done it, there's a couple of American rock bands that
have done it. Todd Rundgren's done
      it. I mean people have done it.

      Me: Baba O'Reilly too, is that somehow???....

      Pete: Y'know that was a bit of a cheat. It was a cheat.

      Audience Laughter...

      Pete: Because, in those days... NO, No it had to be a cheat, it
had to be a cheat, because the
      computers weren't available then to do it. Y'know I was trying to
book time on a music computer,
      back in 1971. And all it was doing was producing random melodies
from a series of notes. Six notes.
      And I asked the guys who was running it when I could get on it,
and he said six years time. Y'know
      these computers were really really slow. And it was about as big
as this room, with big glass bubble
      valves. In 1971, we had microchips, but not what we have today.

      Me: So how....?

      Pete: The Method is about taking an individual, getting a piece
of music from them, fucking
      somehow, (laughter), Dressing it up a bit maybe, dressing it up a
bit, presenting it... y'know 'cause if
      I write a song and don't present it properly, then I'm not doing
myself justice as an artist. So if I, if
      something comes from you, let's dress it up, so it looks good and
feels good, and sounds good. And
      then what we do is we combine everybodies music. We do it. We
introduce it in a concert, and we
      see what happens, we see what the sound is. In other words, we
recreate the music at the end of
      the... the moment at the end of the play when the hacker says
y'know we're gonna mix all the music
      up and see what it sounds like. And Kate Rowland has the gall,
in-in -n the play to have a go at
      making, at making, y'know, has the gall at having a go at making
the sound. And it kind of sounds
      um... like... like chaos. Y'know, and I suppose life does sound
like chaos, but it may also be very
      very harmonic. We don't know. Like minded people coming together
and engaging in this experiment
      might produce something that is truly truly TRULY inspirationally
beautiful. But we may also end up
      with a crock of shit!!!

      There were so many intelligent questions from such great fans,
but I just don't have the time to
      transcribe the whole bloody thing. I hope that Cynthia will take
care of that for me as soon as she
      gets to it. But listening to the Press conference makes me proud
to be a fan along with so many
      other brilliant fans. Fuckin' brilliant aren't we. Hope you all
enjoy this as there were a few questions
      about Method. I can assure you that when it comes out, I'll be
ordering one for myself. Seems like it
      has to be a great thing, knowing all the wonderful fans there are
all over the world.

      Peace to All,

      take care,

      Mike